Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Play versus Academic Preschool

To many parents searching for the perfect preschool, it can become quite complicated and confusing as there are so many great programs out there.  However, through many conversations with parents who come to the school looking for information on the place, the common question is: "Are you play-based or academic-based?".  It's a valid question and even though I shouldn't feel this way, but occassionaly I almost feel awkward saying "play-based" when I know the parents are looking for the other.  On the other hand, I'm proud to say it at the same time because its through play that all of that learning happens.  Some just don't realize it. 

When I do my orientation nights before the school year begins, I always go into detail about the fun we have through play, with the intent that something is learned.  Whether its building towns in the block centre.. but using measuring tapes or, creating menus for house centre because some of the kids went to a resturant on the weekend.. there is always learning happening.  Sure, we do academic learning as well such as through our small group time sessions.  There, the students learn the basic of early literacy and language development like phonics, recognition, and print.  We also explore mathematic concepts such as shapes and numeracy.  We concentrate on fine motor IMMENSELY as it makes every activity so much easier to approach with confidence.  But at the end of it all, it doesn't take them 30 to 45 minutes of sitting and pencil writing, head-down approach.  Fun still happens.  Socializing still happens.  A balance of independence and dependence holds a healthy balance between student and teacher. 

Although I have never been a part of an academic-based preschool, it wouldn't be fair to make assumptions.  I'm sure they can be just as rewarding.  My personal philosophy as an early years educator has always been learning through play and along the career-path, I have always worked in agencies that also believed the same.  Year after year, I see the development a child gains under the teaching of learning through play and I have yet to proven wrong, that play isn't a bad thing. 

On top of that.. they're kids!  Why shouldn't they be playing?!  How else are they going to experience childhood!?

Anyways, I'm sharing an article that I found quite enjoyable and satisfied with its findings.  To the point, where I will be posting it at the preschool for parents to have a look at it.  If you've already given this blog less than five minutes to read, just add another three.  I promise you won't be dissappointed!

Flashcards or Finger Paints by Melissa Taylor

http://imaginationsoup.net/2012/01/flash-cards-or-finger-paints-should-academics-or-play-the-goal-of-preschool/

1 comment:

  1. Very Interesting stuff! Our daughter (Lucy!!) left your class and moved to a play based learning preschool in SE Asia and while I think it is amazing we are suddenly confronted with many parents coming from an academic asian system that feel that it is a waste of their children's time. "How can my 3 year old be learning anything if she isn't doing homework?" one mother asked.

    The interesting issue for us is that our children (ex-pat kids like ours) likely have to move between the 2 systems at least one between preschool and grade 4. Moving between the 2 at critical times (like kindergarten)is frustrating when one system pushes for full reading skills by then while the other has barely introduced letters.

    ReplyDelete