Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Let's move onto year #3

Between now and the last time I posted on preschool teacher stories, both personally and professionally, alot happened.  To make a long story short, year #2 end quite well and approvingly fast enough for me.  By the end of June, I was thoroughly exhausted as so many events happen (parties, Graduations, more parties).  You really do get burnt out quicker than you think.  And when it hits you, you then realize why you get two months off during the year. 

Now that it's September again, here I am.  Ready to report to my fellow readers - all about year number three!  More importantly, not only will my entries pertain to the little people and the teaching moments I will remember for life, but also new developments on an opportunity I onced mentioned about joining.

First Days
This week for many preschools is the start of the school year and will typically mean "Staggered Entry" week.  Classes are split up into smaller groups during class time and scheduled to come only once during this specific week.  A parent asked me today what's the point of it; one word: transition.  As it may a child who is returning to preschool, may not find this difficult it at all.  But believe it or not, even returners can get shy and unsure about why they're back and being left behind after two whole months of 24/7 constant care under their mother's eye.  For the Newbie, so those who are just starting their preschool/educational journey, this is a very important week to have happen.  Firstly, it's a new environment FULL of NEW people, NEW surroundings, and NEW rules.  I can only imagine what their (the kid) thought process is like: What do you mean I have to share?, What is SHARE?!, Why do I have to listen?  WHY ON EARTH IS MY MOTHER LEAVING?!  With so much to adapt too, starting in small groups is the best way to conquer the fears as they get to know their teachers, less intimidated by their new peers, and.. they can relax.

The transition week is also good for the parents too, although I swear September is definately one of those months that they really appreciate you.  For returning parents, it sets in a good routine again.  Hell, I'm glad to be back at work because its giving me routine again.  For the Newbies', they become introduced to a new routine that can be benefical for themselves and not just their children.  A break from the family can lead to positive things - more 'calm and collected', tackling errands child-free, taking care of the self whether it's hitting the gym or even taking a nap.  By embracing such opportunities and using them to the advantage, Mom starts to feel better about life in general and it creates a rippling effect.

And crying..?  Yes, it happens to everyone, including Moms' and Dads'.  I highly recommend the Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn.  I have read it for three years straight now on the first day of school as it reflects exactly on how a child may feel about going to school for the first time.  A young raccoon sharing his fears about school to his mother, and his mother responding with a sweet solution with a teary-choked up ending.  This book came out in 2003 and has branched into a small series on other topics such as bullying and death.  Check it out.


 
 
 
Accreditation
So last time I wrote here, I mentioned the situation between preschools and accreditation - a specialized funding program the Government of Alberta has created for daycares, out of school care, and day homes.  I had also mentioned that a Calgary Preschool Teacher's Association I became a part of, was looking for people to advocate and lobby the idea that preschools should be entitled to accred. as well. 
 
Since then, not only have I signed on with a group of Preschool-based professionals but are now in the midsts of creating templates, mission statements for our group, and our chair is making waves with names that are must to have us get started on this journey.  Our next group meeting isn't till the end of the month.  But how quick that all came together! I don't expect miracles to happen within the next six months because there is just no way of it.  However, I do plan on working towards the expectation and the ability to say, "Preschools and their teachers receive accreditation too."
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment