Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Food's not very important

In my 3-PM class, I have a student who has quite the personality.  And when I mean 'quite the personality', I literally mean it.  Too dramatic for my liking sometimes, but consciously aware of everyone and everything around him.  He's very bright, loves conversation (in fact, with the amount of conversations we have between the two of us, he says that's why he likes me as his teacher), and sings Adele's "Rolling in the Deep". 


He was the first student to arrive to class today, and while I am fiddling around with paperwork waiting for other students to arrive, he is at the sandbox burying plastic insects. For the millionth time, a new conversation begins.


L: So, how are you today, Ms. Jenn?
MsJ: I'm doing alright, L.  How about you?
L: I'm pretty happy today, Ms. Jenn. 
MsJ: I like hearing that!


By this time, our parent volunteer had arrived with his daughter and was kind of just standing around, checking out what L was up to.


L: Ms. Jenn, what did you have for lunch today?
MsJ: I had soup and crackers.  What about you?  What did you have?
L: Oh, I didn't eat.  I wanted to get here early and I wasn't really hungry, so here I am!
MsJ: So, you didn't eat lunch?  You're going to be starving by snack time!
L: Well, that's part of why I didn't want my lunch.  I knew snack would be better.  Snack is usually better than lunch.






Too.  Smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment