Wednesday, November 21, 2012

When the teacher gets sick

Since I have been working with young children, I always averaged two major sicknesses per school year.  It's guarnteed it will be a major cold each time as well.  And usually, I'm able to stick it out.  Take enough meds, get plenty of sleep, and keep the vitmans coming.  However, this time the strategy and assumption fell through. 

Needless to say, although I ended up taking a day off work, it really doesn't make things better for the teacher.  The amount of prep that needs to be done, the final post-its on notes already written out twice because the first one didn't look neat enough, and of course, the aprehension of 'will the kids be good?'. Only once, I got a bad report back and needless to say, the next time I was away, that class was on their best behaviour after that.  But needless to say, it's alot harder to "call in sick" then the average person in their job.  My husband still struggles to comprehend that it isn't as easy for me to call in than it is for him.  All he has to do is call.. no wait.. EMAIL his boss, and it's done.  I wish.  And I'm sure so does everyone else in the early childhood industry.  Especially for those who have dayhomes.. how do you do it?!

After returning for one day and the next two being the weekend, by Monday I felt like a million dollars.  And the kids seemed to have noticed it too.  The older ones said I wasn't boring anymore and I didn't look like I needed a nap.  The younger ones, who were the ones that experienced their teacher being away, asked why I got sick when I saw them again.  I told them because I got some bad germs in my body.  But what I was really thinking was, "because of all of you and your snotty noses!". 

And we all know, it's the honest truth.



My favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment