Thursday, February 23, 2012

Puff-Paint..as Ice Cream?

This blog is more about an idea that I came up with and became really excited on how well it turned out.  So, for any of you E.C.Es' out there get stuck on not knowing what to do with the kidlets - this may help!  I wish had taken a picture of it all, but if you've done Puff Painting before, than you get the just.  If not, it's shaving cream and food colouring.

So, this week we started a "Food" unit and after learning about the four food groups, today the three year olds got specific - learning about flavour and aromas.  Because they're three, the concept had to appeal to them from a "I love sugary treats!" standpoint.. rather than the four year olds who are more "it's a sugary treat.. but probably bad for you" standpoint.  At circle time, I decided to make a tray of various flavours and aromas - bread, lemons, grapefruit, red onion, and of course, popcorn.  After discussing which ones everyone enjoyed more/less, I continued the experience with an introductary to some Puff Painting. 

(Now before I continue, I do have to say this - I literally came up with this concept 7:30am this morning.  I had no idea what I was going to do, how to carry out the learning theme of today.  So, for a quick idea, prayers to the sky that we had what I needed for it, and an ounce of optimism - I lucked out.)
With the paint, I figured doing ice cream on cones would be best as ice cream itself can be very flavourful and depending on the flavour, it may hold a strong smell such as mint or chocolate.  Now, typically to do Puff Paint, you use shaving cream and whatever food colouring colour.  You mix the two, and viola.  The result is fun..the experience is fun; I have yet to come across a kid who hates the idea.  Anyways, because it was going to be ice cream and I didn't want to do the standard mixture, I decided to do some experimenting.  To make vanilla ice cream, I used Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding mix and a couple drops of yellow food colouring; No Name Instant Chocolate Pudding for chocolate ice cream (turned brown all on it's own!), and mint ice cream using green food colouring and peppermint extract.  They all smelled amazing and exactly how you would expect them to if it was ice cream!

I think the best part of this is that over time, the "chocolate" actually looked like mousse.. and had some kids convinced they were painting with ice cream itself!  And to the point of "I'm going to lick the brush of chocolate, Ms. Jenn!"
This is probably not meaning much as I'm sure a gazillion people have done this already.. getting specific with 'ice cream flavours'.  But I feel it ended up as a great experience/resource to share with fellow field members..  Considering it didn't come from a standard Mailbox resource book.





..And, I am definately glad I got my Dad's gene of creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment